I am delighted to bring you this article by guest author Ilena Sanchez, who offers 5 simple tips to ensure that your pets stay happy as well as healthy.
Owning a pet can enrich our lives. They improve our mental health and well being, promote a more active lifestyle and can even lower blood pressure. Any caring pet owner should take steps to ensure that their pet is equally happy and healthy. Follow these simple steps to care for your pets.
5 Simple Tips For a Healthy, Happy Pet
1. Maintain a Healthy Weight
Like humans, pets often need support in order to maintain a healthy weight. In the UK one in three pets are currently overweight. A healthy weight can reduce the risk of a number of conditions limiting the life span of many pets. Weight can also affect the mobility and quality of life of any animal. The first step to ensure a healthy weight is to allow your pet to get plenty of exercise. Dogs for example, should be walked at least once a day in order to manage weight, increase muscle tone, improve circulation and aid strong bones.
It is also important to give your pet a healthy diet. There are specially formulated food products available for animals that have weight problems. These products can reduce body fat by over 20% across a two month period. Many are high in fibre and contain products to aid the burning of fat.
2. Ensure Your Pet is Getting the Right Nutrients
It is essential that your pet has a balanced diet full of all the nutrients they require for good health. Concentrate on providing plenty of fresh food as well as a specially formulated pet food that provides all the vitamins and nutrients they require. Like humans, animals often require specialized diets to promote health.
- Products have been developed to assist with digestion for both cats and dogs. There are also formulated diets available for pets with medical conditions.
- Dogs with diabetes require a special diet to help regulate their blood sugar levels. Some companies provide diets clinically proven to help manage insulin levels.
- Other animals may require support to keep their joints healthy. Many food products are able to improve mobility in pets leading to a better quality of life.
- Other packages are available to assist with health conditions such as heart, kidney, liver or skin conditions.
If you own a cat or dog:-
- Avoid foods such as grapes, onions, raisins and chocolate as these foods can lead to illness.
- Avoid dog or cat treats with food additives and colors that can cause health issues.
In certain haustiere such as chickens, a lack of healthy food can cause stressed animals to peck at others skin. In some cases this can lead to death.
3. Protect Your Pet From the Heat
Animals can often suffer from dehydration and heatstroke when left in warm temperatures. During extremely hot weather, walks should be taken in the morning and evening, avoiding the midday sun. Animals should never be left unattended in a car as this can quickly cause severe dehydration in pets such as dogs. Haustiere such as goats should be kept in a dry environment free of drafts.
4. Provide Mental Stimulation
Many pets require mental stimulation in order to stay healthy and happy. Dogs, for example, can become depressed when they have too little interaction with humans or other animals. If left alone for long periods during the day, many dogs would benefit from another animal to keep them company. Owners should take time to play with their dogs, throw balls or Frisbees and teach them new tricks in order to keep them happy and content.
5. Protect Your Pet From Harmful Parasites
To ensure a safe and healthy life of a pet you need to protect him from various external and internal parasites. Dogs and cats are likely to suffer from fleas and ticks and internal parasites such as intestinal worms or heartworms. These parasites can be distressing, debilitating and in some cases (as with heartworm infection), even fatal.
Your dog or cat can be made miserable and ill from fleas and ticks. Your home could be infested with fleas too. Intestinal worms can also be passed to humans and in some cases, cause sever illness, even blindness. So it is doubly important to ensure your pet and your family are protected from the consequences of these parasites.
To protect your pets from the attack of such parasites get them examined and tested on a routine basis and apply proper parasite control programs involving topical products or oral prevention on a monthly basis.
This is a guest post by Ilena Sanchez, who is a farmer and writer, her work is published on many websites and blogs. Ilena is regarded as an expert in haustiere management and provides advice to other farmers through publications and public speaking.